Friday, September 17, 2010

Do We Really Need 40-Hour Work Weeks?

I probably shouldn't publicize this for the world (and my boss) to see, but I can easily say, on any average 8-hour work day, I spend only up to 5 hours doing actual work.  Sometimes as little as two, sometimes as much as 9.  On days that aren't filled with vigorous activity and urgent deadlines, I am itching for something to do.  Usually I go into "proactive" mode and search the internet for business opportunities for my company as well as come up with pitch and design ideas, or make some pretty pie charts and graphs. Other days, my mind can't help but wander into thoughts of "Why can't I just go home and do something more meaningful?"  I could make a bigger dent in my reading list, volunteer, go to the gym, cook something delicious, or even catch up on some much needed sleep.

As I was writing this post, I came across this article explaining the history of the work week.  Although the work week has been even longer than 50 hours, the 40-hour work week has been challenged before, and by the President!  During the Great Depression, President Hoover tried to get a bill for a 30-hour work week passed in order to cut costs without increasing layoffs.  Unfortunately, that bill did not pass in the House.  President F.D. Roosevelt tried again when he took office, but was overruled by the Supreme Court.  Instead, the government passed the Walsh-Healy Public Contracts Act, which mandates that people are paid overtime after working more than 40 hours.

Today, certain states including Iowa, Hawaii, Utah and Washington are testing shorter work weeks to confirm that productivity doesn't decrease.  The article also refers to a paper by Eric Rauch entitled Productivity and the Workweek where he explains that due to increased productivity (no doubt with the aid of advanced technology) an employed person today needs to work only 11 hours to achieve the same as a 40 hour work week for someone in the 1950s.  To achieve the same amount as someone in 1990, a 29-hour work week should suffice.

Now, obviously we want to keep trending upwards in productivity.  We don't want to be stuck in 1990 (though, if I do say so myself, the 90s were an excellent decade), but we don't need to be sitting at desks for 40 hours a week anymore either.

The benefits of a shorter work week are many.  Parents can actually drop their children off at school and be there when their children return home!  Companies can lower their energy costs, so they can pay their employees the same (which they should, as long as production output stays the same) and save (or earn) money.  People can sleep more, and have more time to devote to hobbies, which will undoubtedly lead in overall better health (psychological and physical).  Community-minded people will have more time to volunteer, which will lead to more service projects and organizations that our future generations will enjoy.

Companies do not have to be open for only 6 hours even if their employees work only 6 hours a day, however.  A second option is to have time shifts for employees.  For example, one employee can work from 8-2, another from 9-3, and another from 10-4.  Still totaling in 8-hour work days (so, maintaining the same amount of energy consumed).  Adjustments can be made based on company's needs, of course.  Employees can choose their times based on their personal schedules, taking their family into account.  A benefit of this option is a less crowded rush hour to and from work, since it should be about 1/3 of the people traveling at any given time.

In addition, the current ubiquity of smart phones makes working remotely so, so much easier.  As most businesses are technology-dependent, information does not need to stop at the desktop.   Even if a person has completed their 6 hours for the day, she is still highly reachable and capable of answering any work emergency.

I can't speak for everyone, but in my personal experience, I work better when I work a shorter day because I'm more focused on getting the job done more quickly.  Precision and accuracy do not suffer because my work ethics aren't changed by the luxury of more free time.  In contrast, when I work 8 hours a day, I tend to draw out my work because I know I have nothing to do once that task is complete, and I do not want to be completely idle.

At a time when many companies are "cutting the fat" and having their employees do the work of 2 or 3 people, causing them to suffer 10+ hour work-days and, probably, a lot of stress, I think we seriously need to revisit the idea of shorter work days.  There is a difference in productivity due to stress and productivity due to a good night's sleep and a well-balanced life.  I'd rather experience it based on the latter, wouldn't you?

1 comment: